Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"i thought i saw pete at the gas station"

Last night Aaron and I had our first post semester meeting about "Big Hands" and where we wanted to take the film now that it is in our hands, no pun intended. And for some reason I got the idea stuck in my head that I should start retracing my steps. I began with my most recent film prior to 24hr, which was "sleet/snow," on top of that Frank asked for some footage for his reel, and even though there is only one shot of his face in the film, I dug up the project file and began to watch the different cuts. s/s was the first film I had edited closely with someone else, er... Adrian, where we saved every cut we finished. In final cut it is never a good thing to rely on the auto-save to catch all of the little moments that changed everything. But since we were on such an expedited timeline for finishing the film, we had the aforethought to keep a record of every major step. That is something Adrian is at full credit for doing, was so exhausted when the shoot was over, I didn't have the endurance to marathon edit and to honest I don't think Adrian did either.

This 5 minute clip from "sleet/snow" was one of the first sequences to be cut from the final film. Mainly because it disrupts Robert's character arc. It isn't even the whole sequence, but I thought this worked really well when I watched it. I put some shots at the beginning to kind of add some scope and pace to the sequence. This clip also catalogues my frustration with Marian's character, and the situation I put her in. In the film who she is is very ambiguous, she is both the object of affection for Robert, but at the same time a human being that isn't in the same head space her. The clip is called "i thought i saw pete at the gas station because" that is the conversation had over sandwiches in the following scene (not included here). But that was the idea I had to reference her husband, and that her being there was an act of independence from her daily life. The trip is that for both of them, but ultimately I felt her character's arc distracted us from Robert's. I think cutting Marian arc, was and is still the choice that distances me from the final cut. That was more my failure then the anyone else's, but as shown here, in its roughest state, I can't entirely feel I let myself down. Indeed this is part of the original cut assembled while we were shooting, with just a hint of finessing. Collectively, these are some of my favorite/prettiest shots we got, and then were left on the "cutting room floor." I hope you enjoy.

"i thought i saw pete at the gas station" from Daniel Laabs on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. glad you took it out.

    It's like (for lack of a better example) of that second movie from Anchorman.
    It's really cool, but it just kind of there.

    ReplyDelete