Tuesday, February 9, 2010

First reshoot in 2 years



I've been reticent of allowing reshoots on films since a very bad experience in school. It was technically as far as experience goes a good one, because I definitely took more care in getting it right the first time. Lately I've made a massive change in the way I work, starting with "Sweet Potatoes" and then with Start a Band and now Haggle. I guess the general idea is experimenting with finding the right amount of preparation so that the outcome is more fresh in my mind by the time of the first screening. One of the biggest personal mistakes I made with Sleet/Snow, and I know I blog about my mistakes a lot (sorry this one is relatively minor), was over thinking everything to point where I was so involved with the ideas I couldn't reconcile editing them out. I poured too much in their creation to be comfortable with leaving them out.



I think now looking back my change in production methods has gone back to something I began as a teenager. And that is only preparing what is absolutely necessary to get the thing done and get it done the way I think should be. I am appreciative that I have such dedicated and patient crew/friends that are will to share this with me.



Looking back on Haggle and all the chaos of ideas, pulling through it and emerging with a clear agenda to re-enter the material two weeks later. The project justified the reshoot, the methods did as well. Sure in the end there will be minor inconsistencies, but perfection was not what we were seeking. We were seeking a messier product in lieu of what matters more. For that you'll have to wait to see the film.



(to see the stills a bit larger click on them)

No comments:

Post a Comment