Wednesday, March 18, 2009

ketchup mess...

I just found out that John Pierson attended out screening on Sunday, and I got to meet the lovely director of "Martha," Katja Straub. Had a really sweet conversation with her. As Adrian noted in his blog about Sunday, after the screening we went back to Jeremy's to jsut relax a bit beofre checking out "Humpday" and "The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle." Indeed Jeremy's daughter, Sidney was marching around, talking in to a megaphone saying things like...

"Ignore Me" (repeatedly)

Then later she went to the backyard and conversed with, well anyone who was listening, spouting gems like...

"Do not be afraid people!"
"I'm a vegetarian."
"I only eat eat bad people blood."
"I come in peace, people!"

And then we went to see... 

"Humpday"
A film that later became a conversation piece, and to be honest if there is one film that everyone was talking about it was "Humpday." The film is incredibly funny, and it stars Mark Duplass, but unlike his films, Humpday lacked a lot of the context. It felt one-sided, and I had hoped for a bit more. Seeing as it was improvised, it bugged me to no end that there could've been something powerful there. But if there was, it was avoided. So to me it was a bit of a let down. But in reality, this movie was so funny. I definitely enjoyed watching it.

 "The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle"
I won't hide from this, it was really good. Little Dizzle is not what you'd expect from a feature film ever. But it defies your inherent expectations as an unwilling member of this audience, and drives you so recklessly and crazily off road, you mind is busy recoiling half of the time you are being wildly entertained by this.  There is really so much to say about this film, most of the animation was perfect, but it was the editing that really made this film. I don't think I could've appreciated a straight forward cut of this film. This was a major highlight of the festival so far.

"A Film With Me In It"
Could've been better.

d

One more thought about the current happenings, I seriously can't believe the festival is almost over. So much has happened in such a short time. Only four days left including today.

No comments:

Post a Comment