Saturday, March 14, 2009

One Night Down, Seven to Go... by Adrian

So, I decided to go with a different font for this post... 

Tonight was the first night of the "movie watching week"! We started the day out by going to the Austin Convention Center to pick up our badges and advanced tickets to some shows. We waited in NO lines, we walked right up and grabbed our badges then we went to the bank and Kinkos to make some "sleet/snow" fliers. The fliers were going to take a few hours to print so we met up with my dad and ate at Longhorn PoBoy's, where Daniel and I each had a "Terminator", which was quite possibly amazing.
We went to my mom's place to pick up our luggage, which we left the night before because it was raining and rain sucks and it rained all day today too... Anyway, Daniel fell asleep on my mom's couch and I watched Oprah. After a couple hours, Mr. Crabby Pants Daniel woke up and was like, "MMM, Why did you make me sleep so long? WAH!", and I said, "Sooooorrrrryyyy.", then we were on our way.
Next we argued over wether there was going to be traffic or not, and for half of the ride, there wasn't any traffic and I was all, "HA HA, you negative asshole.", then we hit I-35 and it was bumper cars, and then Daniel jumped on his high horse and rode around in between the slowly moving cars gloating about how he was right and blah blah blah.
So we made it back to Kinkos, then to Jeremy's (our home base), then to S. Lamar to catch the Music Video Competition. 
We weren't late for anything. Daniel just likes to complain when we wakes up... then complain for hours after he wakes up... then complain until he goes to sleep... but it's not like it's all the time...... it is.
So on to ADRIAN'S REVIEWS of movies and junk:
There were three REALLY cool music videos that I thoroughly enjoyed. 
The third place goes to Gnarles Barkley's "Going On", by Wendy Morgan. It was creatively shot, had some fun dancing, I tapped my foot along with the music and the dancing in the video. It was very fun.
Second Place goes to Oren Lavie's "Her Morning Elegance". This video was so frickin' cool that I forgot I had to pee for the past hour. It was stop motion of a girl sleeping and the different positions she twisted herself in while she slept took her on a journey through her bed-world. You'd have to see it to understand what I'm talking about. It's really cool and hopefully Daniel will post a link to it so I can watch it again.
First Place goes to Don McCloskey's "Mister Novocaine", Directed, Produced, and Edited by Peter Rhoads. This frickin' video was so great. I really enjoyed the song and the visuals were so good, I think I smiled throughout the whole video.
There were some other funny ones and some that I thought were poop on a stick, but whatever, I'm not a judge.

After the last music video, we rushed out of the theater so we could catch "You Won't Miss Me". It was cold as balls outside and we could feel it every time someone opened the damn door behind us while we waited in our VIP line (because we picked up "go the front of the line" advanced tickets). We got inside the theater and the director showed up (a woman) and introduced the movie and then we watched it. Daniel said he had been looking forward to this movie for a long time so I was interested in seeing what was so great about it. I couldn't remember what it was so I was just going to enjoy what ever came on the screen. Well enjoy it I did. Technically the movie was shot on like 500 different formats so the aspect ratio and graininess and fuzziness kept changing. As a film student, I notice stuff like that, but I also recognized it as the style of the film. The movie was so incredible that most of the time I thought it was a documentary because the characters were SOOOOO real. Like I said in my review of the trailer, I know a crazy girl like the lead character in this movie so I could relate to her wacky weirdness, but I had no idea that it could be captured so well. Hot damn it was good. I don't see this movie getting any kind of wide release and maybe none of you will ever get a chance to see it, but it was damn good, emotional, funny, sad, and great!
After that we went to the "Film Opening Party", where filmmakers of all shape and sizes (features to docs to shorts) can all mingle and meet each other and talk about movie making. Well, Daniel and I walked around the room like a couple of ghosts, not making eye contact with anyone. We looked for familiar faces, of which I found NONE... except for two actors who I couldn't remember the names of but one of them is old and one of them is in funny movies and has a beard now. Maybe you can tell me who they are? So we mingled with nobody and felt like dumb idiots. I mean, what are we supposed to say to people?! "Hi, we like making movies. Oh, you do too? Let's talk about it!" I don't know! It was like everyone there was already talking to three other people and we were just walking around them trying to butt in on their private conversations.
So we left that crap and went to Treasure Island where my best friend (which I earlier wrote "BF", but realized it sounded REALLY gay), Erik works. He said I didn't look as fat as I usually do, which I guess is a compliment and then he told me some funny stories about bloody faces and big butts. Sidney showed up a little later wearing glasses and sporting an afro which I laughed about for about five minutes straight. Daniel did not have fun at Treasure Island at all. He's not a "dance-club-disco-tech" kind of guy, I guess.
So we finally left there, much later than Daniel had hoped we would, I'm sure, and came back to Jeremy's and ate some chips and started writing about our first day.

Tomorrow we're going to start our day out with The Prison Rodeo Movie. I can't wait. I know that movie is going to be so awesome! We're gonna watch a lot of other stuff too but that's the one I'm most excited about.

Miss-uh-lay-knee-us: I miss my bed. Autum has it and I tried sleeping in it the past two nights, but I didn't sleep well for some reason, even though it was REALLY comfortable. I miss my TV. I miss eating all the time. I miss rock climbing. I miss my family and my friends in Austin. I'm here and I don't have time to spend with them. I miss feeling important. I miss the salami sandwich I ate in my truck in between the last movie and the crap party we failed at. I miss sleep. I miss my good friends in Arlington. I miss some of the bad ones too. I miss the carefree days when nothing mattered and everything was fun.

Until Tomorrow >>

-Adrian (tired as poopcrap and about to go to sleep)


No comments:

Post a Comment