Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Looking forward to AFI

So for AFI, I'm going to catch a couple films I missed and support other new exciting films in this festival. I am also one support duty for UTA. My little film school has a huge presence this year at AFI Dallas, there is, the big one, The Other Side of Paradise, which was made by Justin Hilliard and Ryan Harsell, two people I have never met save for facebook and association with one of the stars of their film and mine, Frank Mosley. Also playing is Sai Salvarajan's short The Management of Grief, a met Sai a few years ago during a tour up at Video Post & Transfer, now called & Transfer, but then it wasn't. Then Justin Wilson, who I've never met or heard of, has a film called One Nation. All things considered, I am looking forward to meeting these guys and seeing their films.

I am also looking forward to another chance to see David Lowery's St. Nick, again. It was easily one of the strongest voices in SXSW and his presence was noted on a couple other films there that I really liked. If you are reading this, the film that should be at the top of your list of things to see is St. Nick. Otherside is sold out, so it really will be luck that gets you into that or you were smart unlike myself and bought your tickets to see that the night they went on sale and sold out. I am really amazed and surprised at their success. So I hope I can get into see that (fingers crossed).

So many good films we saw at SXSW are also screening here at AFI and I have to recommend a few if you get a chance to get out to the fest. I Come From the Woods and Treevenge are both screening in the midnight shorts catagory and were also part of the same compilation at SXSW, which was one of the best round of shorts we saw in Austin. As far as features, I would also suggest 500 Days of Summer, now this isn't really a small film at all, it is huge, but it was a really nice film that I would definitely say was worth the watch. I heard nice things about The 2 Bobs, and Big Fan with Patton Oswald looked pretty funny. Sister Wife was really interesting and is playing in the Documentary Shorts Competiton. Naiti Gamez's Love, Sadie is in competition with Sleet/Snow, but I really liked it, it was one of top shorts at SXSW, and if you come out to see my film you'll get to see that one too. I will be going to see Dungeon Masters is playing, I didn't hear much about this, but it looks funny. I will also be checking out Grace, which just looked disturbing but was on my list of films to see at SXSW, so... HUG is also playing in my competition, and we saw that at SXSW and was really cool, wasn't a favorite but I definitely liked it a lot.  Moon is also screening, we saw that, I didn't see all of it so I may catch the rest of that one. Bart said Rip was good. 

Oh well, I post more films I am looking forward to seeing at afi later in the week.

d

No comments:

Post a Comment