Sunday, March 22, 2009

Top Ten of SXSW

Here is Daniel's top ten favorite festures

1. Afterschool
Probably the most important film of this festival. It is a satire, but more then that, it is also perfect. By the end you are practically going nuts, your brain almost can't handle it. You feel tense. But the most important thing is you feel. That feeling is strong, and unique.

2. You Won't Miss Me
We saw this opening night, and it immediately resonated with me. I truly cannot wait to see this film again. It is dark, it is depressing, but above all it is real. Gritty and real. You feel humiliated, betrayed, lost, and ultimately alone, it is hard to like this movie if you can't identify or decode it's harsh language. Very much like Afterschool, this film makes you feel things, it is just that they are both refined and subtle.

3. Winnebago Man
I think you are always affected by a film when at its completion the applause is so loud and heartfelt. I won't attend to the every detail because I have not posted my notes on this profoundly inspired documentary about an angry man. I mean, I predict people will be talking about this film for years and years to come. It is that good.

4. My Suicide
I didn't want to like this film, for a lot of reasons. It is immature, it is an over-the-top-preach-a-lesson type of movie, but it is really great. The editing, the main actors, (Joe Montanga sucked 90% of the time he was on screen), the music (the TV on the Radio cover of Daniel Johnston's "Walking the Cow" is worth a viewing alone), the story, this film was as much as I didn't want it to be one of the best films I've seen this year. Not my favorite of the fest, but definitely one of the best films of the year. 

5. The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle
I wrote about this previously and I really liked this film. It earned every second of your time, it made you love it so much, and the film makes you want to hate it. It is essentially about pooping blue fish,. But it is amazing to witness this film evolve into what ultimately becomes a truly worth while experience. I think technical proficiency would understate how cool this movie is to look at.

6. Alexander the Last
I really liked this movie. I was simple, fun, and contextually fulfilling. I have to say though the thing that impressed me the most about this film was Joe's camera work. It looked really great, the visual aesthetic of each sequence was really neat to watch. It was as cool as St. Nick, but it was a very pretty movie. A lot of improvised elements really stood strong in this film. Really cool.
 
7. St. Nick
Some told me during the festival that it could have been a short, but I'm glad it wasn't. One of the things I liked most about this film is how it lets you think. Like You Won't Miss Me & Afterschool, you really had to look at yourself and pay attention to what you were thinking about during the screening. Each image draws your attention to a thought or a subtext, and like the boy, when you do have the courage to speak it is often so self-centered and introspective, your are curious if in fact you are alone in your thoughts. It sits on this list also for its powerful freaking sound design.

8. We Live In Public/Sweethearts of the Prison Rodeo
In both of these films, you could watch two different filmmakers, continue with the work and style they have established for themselves. If you've seen and liked their previous films, I recommend these, they totally do it again, with new subjects.

9. Beeswax
Bujalski's latest film, his third film, does not disappoint. It is about the relationship between two sisters, it is fun and meaningful. Maybe I'm just still so in love with his other two films that it is hard for me to not like this movie. But seeing Beeswax in the theater, let me see an audience react to a subtle comedy like this for the first time. I'd put this on par with Bottle Rocket, but the heart of this one is a bit grander. I shook this guy's hand three times but couldn't sum up the courage to talk to him.

10. Creative NonFiction
I enjoyed this film a lot, funny and insecure. It was one of the most enjoyable films at the festival. Great story, low budget, exactly the kind of thing you hope to see when you are about to embark on a long laborious journey.

Favorite Shorts

1. Sunday Mornings
2. I come from the Woods
3. Isis Avenue
4. A'mare
5. Recieve Bacon/Butthole Lickin'
6. "C.R.U.F.F."
7. Love, Sadie
8. Auto Pilot
9. Warm Fuzzy Feeling
10. Sleet/Snow (because I made it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment